With over 350 million registered players globally, Fortnite is one of the most popular battle royale games around. After intense gaming sessions building, shooting and collecting Victory Royales, it’s important to properly log out of your Fortnite account. But how long does this log out process actually take?
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about logging out of Fortnite, including step-by-step instructions, the log out timeframes, why logging out is important, and best security practices for your account.
Overview of Logging Out of Fortnite
Here’s a quick overview of how logging out works in Fortnite:
- Logging out signs you out of your Epic Games account across all platforms.
- Your skins, stats, unlocks and other data remain intact when logged out.
- Nothing is deleted or lost by logging out of your account.
- You will need to enter your username and password again next time you play.
- Logging out tightens account security when you are not actively gaming.
The log out process itself only takes seconds! We’ll explain the steps next.
Step-by-Step Instructions to Log Out
Here is how to log out of Fortnite on all platforms:
- Click the 3 lines menu icon in the top right.
- Click your profile name and select “Log Out”.
- Confirm by clicking “Yes” on the pop-up.
- Close the game and launcher fully.
- Go to Settings from the main Fortnite screen.
- Navigate to the Account tab.
- Choose “Sign Out”.
- Click “Yes” when it asks if you want to sign out.
- Press the Xbox button and close Fortnite.
- Go to Settings from Fortnite’s main screen.
- Go to the Account tab.
- Select “Sign Out”.
- Confirm by selecting “Yes” on the confirmation.
- Press the PS button and close Fortnite fully.
- From Fortnite’s Home, tap your profile picture.
- Choose “Sign Out”
- Tap “Yes” to confirm.
- Press the Home button and close Fortnite.
- Tap the 3 lines menu icon.
- Tap your username.
- Select “Sign Out”.
- Confirm on the pop-up.
- Swipe Fortnite away in your recent apps.
And that’s it! Just a handful of quick steps to securely sign out of your Epic Games account on all platforms.
How Long Does Fortnite Log Out Take?
The entire Fortnite log out process takes just seconds to complete on all platforms and devices:
- On PC, Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and mobile, logging out takes 5-10 seconds total.
- The actual logout itself is instant after you confirm signing out.
- Any additional time is just navigating to the logout option from Fortnite’s menus.
- Fully closing the game afterward ensures you are signed out across all devices.
So you can expect your Fortnite logout to finalize within 10 seconds or less. It’s a super quick and seamless process!
Why You Should Always Log Out
Here are some key reasons why you should log out of Fortnite whenever you’re finished playing:
- Logging out tightens account security by requiring your password next time.
- Prevents unauthorized access if someone uses your gaming device.
- Stops purchases through your account when you’re away from the game.
- Keeps your V-Bucks and account items protected.
- Best practice to log out of any platform or account when not using it.
Making logging out a consistent habit any time you wrap up gaming is wise.
Enabling Two-Factor Authentication
For maximum Fortnite account protection:
- Enable two-factor authentication (2FA) through your Epic Games account settings.
- Require a unique security code from your email or authenticator app at each login.
- 2FA prevents unauthorized logins even if your password gets compromised.
- Activate it anytime, but especially before an extended gaming break.
With two-factor authentication, your account stays locked down tight.
Changing Your Fortnite Password
In addition to logging out, also:
- Frequently change your Fortnite password every 60-90 days.
- Use a unique, complex password that cannot easily be guessed.
- Consider using a password manager to generate and store passwords.
- Change your password before a prolonged Fortnite break.
Routinely changing your password secures your account from potential password leaks or cracks over time.
Using Account Security Settings
Under the Account tab, you can also:
- Enable parental controls to limit purchases.
- Review linked accounts and devices.
- Check recent logins for unauthorized activity.
- Update account recovery email and password reset options.
Furthermore, review Fortnite’s additional account security best practices on their website for protecting your profile.
What Happens If You Remain Logged In?
Risks of staying logged into Fortnite include:
- Account access if someone else uses your gaming device.
- Visibility of personal info attached to your Fortnite profile.
- Potential unauthorized purchases through your account.
- Greater ability for account theft through compromised login credentials.
- Higher likelihood of getting banned if account used maliciously.
Remember to always fully log out to prevent unwanted account usage while unattended.
Protecting Your Account When Away
If taking an extended break from Fortnite:
- Enable two-factor authentication for account security.
- Frequently change your password before the break.
- Remove any unrecognized linked accounts.
- Update your account recovery email and password reset info.
This safeguards your account from compromise while you’re away for long periods of inactivity.
Logging Back In After Extended Time
Depending how long you were away, getting back into your Fortnite account may require:
- A day or two off: Simply log back in with your username and password as usual.
- Weeks inactive: May need to reset password or use 2FA code if enabled.
- Months+ inactive: Could require full account recovery if credentials expired.
As long as you secure your account properly before an extended absence though, you should have no trouble picking up right where you left off!
FAQs About Fortnite Log Out Duration
Does closing the game logout automatically?
No, you need to fully logout before closing Fortnite. Background processes could still be running.
How long until auto logout on its own?
Fortnite does not have an automatic logout timer. You need to manually log out yourself.
Do my stats reset if I’m logged out too long?
No, your skins, levels, stats, and all Fortnite progress remain intact when logged out. Nothing resets.
It’s unlikely if you enable 2FA and use a strong unique password, but log out fully to be safe.
What if I lost access from being logged out so long?
You can go through Fortnite’s account recovery process if you no longer have your login credentials after an extended break.
In summary, directly logging out of Fortnite only takes seconds. But properly securing your account if inactive for long periods is also important. Enable 2FA, change passwords, and update your account recovery options before any prolonged absence!Sharing Is Caring: