Let’s be honest – ads on Snapchat can really disrupt the fun social experience. You’re in the middle of laughing at your bestie’s silly selfie when suddenly an ad pops up for a product you don’t care about.
While Snapchat needs to make money somehow, you shouldn’t have to be bombarded with irrelevant ads. The good news is there are some easy ways to block ads on Snapchat and enjoy an interruption-free experience.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore different methods for removing ads from Snapchat on both iOS and Android devices.
How Snapchat Ads Work
Before learning how to block ads, it helps to understand how they end up in your Snapchat feed in the first place.
Snapchat displays several different types of ads, including:
- Brand Sponsored Lenses and Filters
- Short Video Ads between Stories
- Ad-supported Publisher Stories
- Sponsored AR Experiences
- Collection Ads that link to ecommerce sites
Brands pay Snapchat to promote their products within your Stories feed. Data from your online activity, browsing history, location, demographic info, and Snapchat usage help determine which ads you see.
The more time you spend watching Stories and Discover content, the more ads that will be slotted in between snaps.
Why You Should Block Snapchat Ads
Here are some key reasons why you may want to remove ads from Snapchat:
- They’re Distracting: Ads disrupt your immersive social experience on Snapchat.
- They’re Irrelevant: Most ads are completely unrelated to your interests.
- They Waste Data: Video ads eat up data when using Snapchat on mobile.
- They’re Time-Consuming: You lose precious time to ads instead of content.
- They’re Annoying: Repetitive and intrusive ads just create frustration.
- They Track You: Ad targeting relies on collection of your personal data.
By blocking ads, you can enjoy uninterrupted Stories and focus on connecting with real friends instead of brands.
Using Ad Blockers and VPNs to Block Snapchat Ads
One of the easiest ways to block ads on iOS and Android is to use a dedicated ad blocking app or VPN service. When enabled, these block and filter out Snapchat ads at the network level.
Some top choices include:
- AdBlock – Blocks ads across all apps including Snapchat. Free for iOS and Android.
- 1Blocker – Removes ads plus tracks user privacy. Paid iOS app.
- Blokada – Open source ad blocker and firewall for Android devices.
- AdGuard – Uses filters to block mobile ads including video. Cross-platform.
- TunnelBear – VPN that prevents ad tracking and targeting. Free and paid tiers.
The benefit of these tools is they work quietly in the background to keep ads away from Snapchat and any other apps. Just enable them before opening Snapchat to browse ad-free.
Block Ads by Turning on Airplane Mode
Airplane mode disconnects your mobile device from all networks and stops any data transmission. You can use this to temporarily pause Snapchat ads:
- Open Snapchat and start viewing Stories.
- When an ad appears, swipe up from the bottom to open Control Center.
- Tap the airplane icon to enable Airplane Mode.
- The ad will not load further with no data. Skip or close it.
- Disable Airplane Mode to resume regular Snapchat use until the next ad.
- Open your Snapchat app and wait for an ad to load.
- As soon as the ad starts, turn on Airplane mode in your Settings or quick settings menu.
- The ad will fail to load. Close or skip it to view Stories again.
- Turn off Airplane mode to continue using Snapchat normally.
Repeat each time an unwanted ad pops up! Of course, this requires a bit of manual effort compared to just using an ad blocker. But it guarantees no ads will ever play through fully on Snapchat.
Mute Ad-Heavy Snapchat Friends or Publishers
Another trick is to identify friends and publishers who post the most ads in their Stories, and simply mute their posts. This removes one major avenue for ads entering your feed.
To mute friends or accounts on Snapchat:
- Press and hold on their name in your Stories feed.
- Select “More” from the popup menu.
- Choose “Mute” to stop seeing their stories for 24 hours or longer.
Do this for any accounts that regularly show ads in their content. You will no longer see ads from muted accounts.
Report Irrelevant or Inappropriate Snapchat Ads
Snapchat should show you ads that align with your interests, demographics, and usage. But if you repeatedly get inappropriate or irrelevant ads, you can report them right in the app. This may reduce the frequency of off-topic ads.
Here’s how to report Snapchat ads:
- Tap the ⋮ icon in the top right of the ad.
- Choose “Report…” from the menu.
- Select the reason for reporting – irrelevant, inappropriate, offensive, etc.
- Tap “Report” to submit your complaint about the ad.
Regular reporting trains Snapchat’s ad targeting algorithm over time and may decrease poorly targeted ads. But reporting alone likely won’t eliminate all ads.
Reduce Snapchat Screen Time to Minimize Ads
The amount of time you spend actively using Snapchat directly correlates with the number of ads you’ll be served. So one trick is to simply use Snapchat less and minimize opportunities for ads.
Here are ways to cut down Snapchat screen time:
- Set a daily time limit for Snapchat in iOS Screen Time or Android Digital Wellbeing. Get alerted when hitting your limit.
- Enable Scheduled Restrictions to block Snapchat during focused work hours.
- Turn off Snapchat notifications and remove from home screen to reduce mindless browsing.
- Only open Snapchat once or twice a day at designated times to view new snaps.
- Leave Stories auto-advancing in the background while doing other tasks to avoid ads.
- Interact less with Snap-affiliated publishers known to share ads.
Without hours of idle browsing and Stories watching, you’ll encounter far fewer ads. Though this requires discipline, it significantly cuts ad quantity.
How to Completely Avoid Ads on Snapchat
If you want to enjoy Snapchat entirely ad-free, your best bet is a third-party Snapchat client app. These provide all core Snapchat functions without any ads at all.
We’ll cover the top recommended third-party apps in the next section. But reasons to ditch the official Snapchat app include:
- Third-party apps have no ads built-in at all.
- They offer other bonus features like saving media and chat logging.
- Often updated with latest Snapchat features faster.
- Typically less data and battery drain.
The one downside is losing camera integration. But a third-party client lets you remain fully ad-free on Snapchat.
Best Third-Party Snapchat Apps Without Ads
Here are the top-rated third-party Snapchat apps for enjoying an ads-free experience:
1. Snapchat+ (Android & iOS)
- No ads at all
- Save Snaps, Stories, Chat logs
- Themes, privacy settings -requent updates
2. Casper (iOS)
- Ad-free Snapchat client
- View Stories anonymously
- Includes stickers, filters
- Sync chats across devices
3. MSnap (Android)
- Does not show any ads
- Customizable themes
- Download and share media
- Get notified of screenshots
4. Snap Tools (Android)
- Blocks all Snapchat ads
- View Stories without being detected
- Save Snaps, upload content
- Advanced account privacy
Be sure to check comparable features against official Snapchat before choosing a third-party client. But they allow enjoying Snapchat with no distractions from ads.
Pros and Cons of Blocking Snapchat Ads
- No disruptive, irrelevant ads interrupting your experience
- Faster Snapchat performance without loading ads
- Avoid data wasted on unwanted video ads
- More personal privacy without ad tracking
- Focus on connecting with friends, not brands
- Snapchat loses revenue from blocked ads
- Some ad blockers cost money to purchase
- Reporting too many ads could get your account flagged
- Using third-party clients breaks Snapchat’s terms of service
- Requires some technical effort to setup on devices
You’ll have to weigh the personal benefits against potential risks. For many, an ad-free Snapchat is worth using tools like blockers or third-party apps.
Can You Get Banned for Blocking Snapchat Ads?
Snapchat actively discourages use of ad blockers and third-party apps that modify its service. These do technically violate Snapchat’s terms.
However, Snapchat itself has stated they will not ban or penalize accounts just for using ad blockers. You are free to block ads as long as you don’t harass advertisers or spam report ads.
Third-party client usage is more murky in terms of bans. Snapchat tolerates casual use but may crack down on heavy usage that cuts into their revenue.
To avoid risking your account, use ad blockers judiciously along with Snapchat’s official apps. Or limit third-party app access to secondary Snapchat accounts not linked to your main profile.
Frequently Asked Questions about Blocking Snapchat Ads
Does using a VPN block Snapchat ads?
Yes, some VPN services can help block Snapchat ads by filtering out ad traffic and preventing ad targeting through anonymized browsing. VPNs like TunnelBear offer this ad-blocking feature.
Do ad blockers drain my phone battery?
Third-party ad blockers require minimal device resources to function, so they should not noticeably affect battery life. Some may initially drain battery as they learn and setup.
Can I get a refund if I paid for an ad blocker app?
Most reputable ad blocker apps offer at least a short-term refund period in case you are unsatisfied. Check each app’s refund policy before purchasing.
Will ad blockers slow down my Snapchat app?
No, ad blockers should actually speed up Snapchat by removing ads before they load and stream. Less ads means faster performance.
Can I whitelist some Snapchat ads while blocking most?
A few advanced ad blockers let you customize filters to allow certain ad domains or networks while blocking most ads. This provides more fine-grained control.
Will I still see ads from Snapchat on Instagram or Facebook?
Yes, blocking Snapchat ads only affects ads within the Snapchat app itself. You’ll need separate ad blockers to remove ads on Instagram, Facebook, or any sites/apps.
While ads are integral to Snapchat’s business model, personalized social media should be about connecting with friends – not constant brand interruptions. Thankfully, there are easy solutions to remove Snapchat ads using ad blockers, VPNs, third-party apps, and other tricks.
Test different approaches to find what works best for blocking Snapchat ads on your iOS or Android device. But be sensible in your usage to avoid account penalties. With the right strategy, you can enjoy smooth, uninterrupted Snapchat experiences.
Now get back to sending hilarious selfies to your besties or living vicariously through Stories without pesky ads getting in the way. The less time spent watching ads, the more time for Snapping your crew!Sharing Is Caring: