Meetup is one of the largest online platforms for finding and building local community groups. With over 44 million users worldwide, Meetup makes it easy to connect with people nearby who share your interests.
However, there may come a time when you no longer wish to maintain your Meetup account. Perhaps you are not actively participating in groups anymore, have privacy concerns, or want to create a new account. Deleting your Meetup account is simple if you know the proper steps.
This comprehensive guide will walk through how to permanently delete your Meetup account, with clear instructions for both desktop and mobile.
Reasons for Deleting Your Meetup Account
There are many reasons you may want to delete your Meetup account, such as:
- You are no longer actively participating in groups or events.
- You created multiple accounts and want to consolidate.
- You have concerns about privacy or data collection.
- Your account was hacked or compromised.
- You want to remove contact with certain group members.
- You no longer live near groups relevant to your interests.
- You prefer using other platforms to find local events.
- You forgot your login information and cannot recover it.
- You want to start fresh with a new Meetup account.
Before deleting your account, make sure you download any data or information you may want to retain. Once deleted, your account cannot be recovered.
Downloading Your Meetup Data
Prior to deleting your Meetup account, it is highly recommended you download an archive of your Meetup data for your own records:
- Go to www.meetup.com/account/export/ on desktop.
- Select data types to export such as profile info, events, photos, and messages.
- Enter your account password and hit “Start Export”.
- Once the export is done, download your Meetup data archive.
This preserves valuable information from your account before permanently removing it.
How to Delete Your Account via the Meetup Website
If you signed up for Meetup on desktop, follow these steps:
Step 1: Login to Meetup
- Go to www.meetup.com and click “Log In” at the top.
- Enter your Meetup email and password.
- Click “Login” to access your Meetup account.
Step 2: Go to Account Settings
- Click on your profile picture at top right.
- Select “Settings” from the dropdown menu.
Step 3: Select Delete Account
- Scroll down and click on “Delete Account” in red text.
- On the pop-up, choose a reason you are deleting your account.
Step 4: Confirm Account Deletion
- Check the box to confirm account deletion.
- Click “Delete” to permanently remove your Meetup account.
Your Meetup profile will immediately be deleted and you will be logged out automatically.
How to Delete Your Account on Mobile
To delete your Meetup account on the iOS or Android app:
Step 1: Login on the Meetup App
- Download and open the Meetup mobile app.
- Tap “Log In” and enter your Meetup login credentials.
- Tap “Log In” once your credentials are entered.
Step 2: Navigate to Settings
- Tap your profile icon on the bottom menu.
- Tap the gear icon to access account settings.
Step 3: Choose Delete Account
- Scroll down and tap “Delete Account” in red text.
- Select your reason for deleting on the pop-up.
Step 4: Verify Account Removal
- Check the box confirming account deletion.
- Tap “Permanently delete account” in red to proceed.
Your Meetup account will then be immediately deleted from the mobile app as well.
What Happens After Your Meetup Account is Deleted
Once you permanently delete your Meetup account, here is what happens:
- You automatically lose access to your Meetup profile and all account data.
- All RSVPs, group memberships, posts, and connections are erased.
- You stop receiving any emails or notifications from Meetup.
- Your membership in paid Meetup Pro is automatically cancelled.
- Groups you created are permanently deleted if you were the sole organizer.
- Your profile vanishes from any public groups you belonged to.
- You cannot later recover or reactivate a deleted Meetup account.
Essentially, deleting removes all trace of your presence and activity on Meetup groups and events. Be certain you want to take this permanent step!
Alternatives to Deleting Your Meetup Account
Instead of fully deleting your account, consider these alternatives:
- Deactivate your account – This hides your profile temporarily while preserving all account data. Your groups are retained.
- Unfollow groups – Keep your profile but leave groups that no longer interest you. You can stay in relevant groups.
- Cancel Meetup Pro – Downgrade from a paid Meetup Pro subscription to a free account instead.
- Remove app – Just deleting the Meetup app from your device removes mobile access while your account remains intact.
Contacting Meetup Support
If you have any issues deleting your Meetup account or questions about the process, you can contact Meetup Support:
- Help Center: http://help.meetup.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Twitter: @MeetupCS
Reach out for quick assistance with any problems deleting your Meetup account successfully.
Deleting your Meetup account permanently erases your presence and data from the platform. Download any information you may want to retain before deletion.
The process only takes a few clicks through the Meetup website or mobile app settings. Just confirm you really want to proceed, as deleted accounts cannot be recovered.
With this guide, you now understand how to easily and successfully delete your Meetup account when you no longer wish to utilize the platform. Just consider alternatives like deactivation before taking this permanent step.
Frequently Asked Questions About Deleting Meetup Accounts
Here are some common questions about deleting Meetup accounts:
Can I recover my Meetup account after deleting?
Unfortunately, once you delete your Meetup account it is gone forever and cannot be recovered. The process is permanent.
What happens to groups I created if I delete my account?
Groups you are the sole organizer for will be permanently deleted if you delete your account. Co-organized groups will simply remove you.
Do I need to delete the Meetup app to delete my account?
No, you can delete your entire account directly through the app’s account settings. Just removing the app doesn’t delete your profile.
Can I just deactivate my Meetup instead of fully deleting?
Yes! Deactivating just hides your profile temporarily while retaining all data. This is reversible, unlike permanent deletion.
Will Meetup notify my groups if I delete my account?
No, Meetup does not directly notify your groups. Your profile will simply disappear from group member lists.
If I delete my account, can I sign up again later?
Absolutely, you can create a brand new Meetup account anytime using a different email address after deleting your previous account.
Can I delete my account if I signed up through Facebook?
Yes, you can still delete your Meetup account even if you originally signed up with Facebook. The Facebook connection will be removed.
What should I do if I forget my Meetup account password?
You will need to reset your Meetup password before you can log in and access the account deletion option.
What happens to my Meetup Pro subscription if I delete my account?
Deleting your Meetup account automatically cancels and removes any active Meetup Pro subscription on that account.
In summary, Meetup account deletion is permanent and also removes your groups if you were the sole organizer. Be sure to download your data before deleting your profile!Sharing Is Caring: