One of the convenient features offered in many modern Nissan vehicles is the ability to keep the radio playing even when you switch the car off and take the key out. However, not all Nissan owners may be aware of how to activate this handy function.
In this detailed guide, we’ll cover the steps to keep the radio turned on in your Nissan when the engine is off. Applicable to various Nissan models and years.
Overview of Keeping Nissan Radio On
Most modern Nissans have a radio off delay feature that keeps the audio system powered on and playing music for a set time after you remove the key and exit the vehicle.
This allows you to keep listening to the radio as you unload items from the trunk, for example, without having to leave the car idling.
The radio will play for 5, 10, or 20 minutes based on the delay duration set before turning off automatically when the door is opened and closed with no key in the ignition.
Nissan vehicles with the radio off delay function include:
- Nissan Altima and Maxima (2013 to 2022 models)
- Nissan Pathfinder (2013 to 2022 models)
- Nissan Sentra (2012 to 2022 models)
- Nissan Rogue (2014 to 2022 models)
- Nissan Murano (2015 to 2022 models)
- Nissan Leaf (2011 to 2022 models)
Now let’s go over how to activate this handy Nissan feature.
Activating Radio Off Delay in Nissan
Using the radio off delay in your compatible Nissan is simple:
To turn on:
- Make sure the radio is currently powered on and playing music.
- With your foot off the brake, press and hold the power button next to the steering wheel until the radio turns off.
- Within 5 seconds, press the power button again briefly to turn the radio back on.
- The radio will now stay on once you exit the car and disable the ignition.
To turn off:
- Press and hold the power button until the radio turns off.
- Do not press the button again. The off delay will be deactivated.
Following those steps allows you to easily enable extended radio playback in your Nissan when the engine is off.
Adjusting the Radio Off Timer Duration
By default, Nissan sets the radio off delay timer to 5 minutes. But you can customize the duration to 10 or 20 minutes as well:
To change radio off timer length:
- Press the power button briefly with the car on to bring up the vehicle settings menu.
- Use the steering wheel controls to navigate to Settings > Vehicle Settings.
- Scroll down to “Radio Off Delay” and select 10 or 20 minutes.
- Press the back arrow to save the setting and exit the menu.
Now when you activate the radio off delay, it will keep playing for the customized length of time selected before powering off automatically.
Additional Tips for Extended Radio Playback
To make the most of your Nissan’s radio off delay, keep these extra tips in mind:
- Activate the feature before turning the car fully off to avoid radio reset.
- Set the A/C fan speed to low to extend battery life if sitting in car.
- Switch audio source to FM/AM radio for lowest power draw versus Bluetooth.
- Turn off unnecessary accessories like seat heaters that use excess power.
- Start engine periodically to recharge battery if listening for very long periods.
Things to Be Aware of When Radio is On
While the radio off delay is convenient, be aware:
- Feature only works if ignition was switched on initially. Won’t work if just battery powered.
- Radio turns off immediately if car battery voltage gets too low.
- Excessive use without starting car can drain battery over time.
- Radio comes on at same high volume level when re-entering car.
- Off delay stops working if battery is disconnected or car is serviced.
So use the radio extension wisely, and don’t be startled by loud music when you return to the parked vehicle!
FAQs About Nissan Radio Off Delay Feature
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about keeping the radio playing in your Nissan when the engine is off:
How long will the Nissan radio stay on when I exit the car?
The radio will stay on for 5, 10 or 20 minutes depending on the off delay timer setting selected in the vehicle settings menu.
What Nissan models and years support the radio off delay function?
Most 2013 to 2022 Nissan vehicles including Altima, Maxima, Pathfinder, Sentra, Rogue, Murano, and Leaf have the radio off delay feature.
Does the feature work if I just turn on the car electronics without starting the engine?
No, the radio off delay requires you to initially start the engine with the ignition before activating the feature. It will not work on battery only.
Will my Nissan radio settings be saved when it turns off automatically?
Yes, all your radio presets, volume level and settings will be saved and restored when you restart your Nissan.
How do I turn the radio off immediately when using the off delay function?
Simply press and hold the power button next to the steering wheel until the radio switches off to override the timer.
The handy radio off delay feature found in most modern Nissans allows you to keep listening to music even when you switch your car off and exit the vehicle. Just activate it properly before turning off the ignition.
Adjust the timer setting to your desired length, be aware of battery drain, and take advantage of extra playback tips covered here. Now you can enjoy uninterrupted radio listening when stopping briefly or unloading your Nissan. Never miss a beat of your favorite show or podcast again thanks to this useful feature!Sharing Is Caring: