With over 30 million members, Chess.com is the internet’s #1 site for playing chess online. Chess.com offers mobile apps for iOS and Android to complement the desktop website. Logging in allows you to play games, track ratings, analyze moves, and participate in tournaments.
Eventually, you may need to log out of the Chess.com mobile app. This guide covers the log out process on iOS and Android, securing your account when logged out, and additional tips for managing your Chess.com app credentials.
Benefits of Using the Chess.com Mobile App
The Chess.com mobile app makes playing chess on the go easy and convenient. Key features include:
- Play games against computer or human opponents.
- Watch instructional chess videos.
- Join tournaments for all skill levels.
- Analyze your game with computer assessments.
- Do chess puzzles and tactical training.
- Message other members and join groups.
- Earn achievements and leaderboard rankings.
The app synchronizes all your data, games, and progress with the Chess.com website.
Why Log Out of the Chess.com App?
There are a few key reasons you may want to log out of the Chess.com mobile app:
- Protect account security when away from your device.
- Prevent other users from accessing your account.
- Manage multiple Chess.com user profiles on the same device.
- Resolve login issues like error messages.
- Start fresh when changing usernames.
- Link a different Chess.com account to the mobile app.
Fortunately, logging out is quick and easy on both iOS and Android versions.
How to Log Out on iOS
To log out of Chess.com on an iPhone or iPad:
- Launch the Chess.com app.
- Tap the profile icon in the bottom right.
- Select the gear icon to access Settings.
- Scroll down and tap “Log Out”.
- Confirm tapping “Log Out” again when prompted.
You will be logged out and returned to the app’s home screen.
How to Log Out on Android
If using Chess.com for Android, follow these steps:
- Open the Chess.com app on your device.
- Tap your profile picture at the top left.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Scroll down and tap “Log out”.
- Tap “Yes” when asked to confirm logging out.
The app will log out and display the home screen.
Securing Your Account When Logged Out
To help keep your Chess.com account secure:
- Don’t cache your login credentials on shared mobile devices.
- Use a strong unique password just for Chess.com.
- Enable two-factor authentication for enhanced security.
- Periodically review your profile settings and connected apps.
- Watch for unauthorized games played or messages sent.
Taking precautions allows safely sharing mobile devices or lending to friends without account risks.
Changing Your Chess.com App Password
If letting someone else use the app, best practice is:
- Log out of the Chess.com app.
- On Chess.com website, change your account password.
- Don’t save the new password in the mobile app.
- Have the other user log in with the new password instead of yours.
This prevents access to your main account when sharing the app temporarily.
Recovering Your Forgotten Login Credentials
If you can’t recall your Chess.com password:
- Reset it via email from the Chess.com website.
- Use your Facebook, Google, or Apple account to login if connected.
- Submit an account recovery request by contacting Chess.com support.
Resetting your credentials lets you login again on mobile if forgot your old login information.
Using Two-Factor Authentication
For enhanced security:
- Enable two-factor authentication under account settings on Chess.com.
- Use a mobile authenticator app like Authy to generate codes.
- Require the unique code on each Chess.com mobile login.
Two-factor authentication prevents unauthorized logins even if someone knows your password.
Caching Login to Skip Entering Password
While less secure, you can cache your Chess.com credentials:
- Save login details when prompted after entering password.
- Set a device passcode or fingerprint to protect cached login.
- Toggle on the setting “Remember Me” under profile settings.
Caching logins skips manually entering your password each app session.
Troubleshooting Login Issues
If encountering errors logging into the Chess.com mobile app:
- Check internet connection and restart app.
- Reset your password in case it changed or expired.
- Make sure your username is entered correctly.
- Clear app data which erases cached credentials.
- Delete and reinstall the Chess.com app if issues persist.
Correcting login details resolves most app authentication errors.
Preventing Unauthorized App Usage
To help prevent others accessing your Chess.com account without permission:
- Don’t save login details when using someone else’s device.
- Log out fully when done and close the app.
- Use app locking software with a passcode for extra protection.
- Monitor profile settings for any changes made without your authorization.
- Review login history for signs of suspicious activity.
These steps keep your account secure when accessing Chess.com from shared mobile devices.
Managing Multiple Chess.com Accounts
To use the Chess.com app with different accounts:
- Log out fully from one account before switching.
- Delete cached credentials before logging into another account.
- Add usernames under profile settings to easily switch accounts.
- Create separate app shortcuts for fast user profile swapping.
Properly logging in and out prevents blending data across accounts.
Logging In to Chess.com on New Devices
When accessing your Chess.com account from a new mobile device:
- Use a robust unique password instead of saved credentials.
- Verify no suspicious login locations in your account history.
- Enable login approvals adding the device or reconfirm email.
- Turn on two-factor authentication for enhanced security.
Approach new logins carefully to prevent unauthorized access to your Chess.com profile.
Frequently Asked Questions About Logging Out of the Chess.com App
Does the Chess.com app automatically log you out?
No, the Chess.com app does not automatically log you out. You have to manually log out using the in-app settings. Apps remain logged in indefinitely unless you actively log out.
What happens if I get logged out of the Chess.com app?
Getting logged out of the Chess.com app returns you to the app homepage. You would need to enter your credentials again to log back in and access your profile, games, and data within the app.
How do I logout if I used Google to login to the Chess.com app?
If you login using your Google account, tap your profile icon then “Disconnect from Google” to fully logout. This delinks your Google ID credential-based login.
Can I be logged into Chess.com app on multiple devices?
Yes, you can use the same Chess.com account simultaneously on the mobile app, website, and other paired devices. Each device login remains active until explicitly logged out.
If I uninstall the app, does it logout my Chess.com account?
No, uninstalling the Chess.com app does not automatically log you out of your account. To fully logout, manually do so in the app’s settings before uninstalling.
The Chess.com mobile apps for iOS and Android make playing chess and engaging with fellow players convenient anywhere. Properly logging out secures your account when not using the app. Additionally, utilizing strong passwords, two-factor authentication, and other security practices keeps your profile protected when accessing Chess.com on the go.Sharing Is Caring: